Installation guidelines for three tier TFS setup

May 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Hi,

We've tried to install the scrum dashboard in a three-tier TFS environment:

-Separate SQL Server

-Separate TFS app server

-Separate TFS Web Access web server

Unfortunately, the scrum dashboard doesn't work in this setup, when following the current installation instructions. We get a Access Denied error when we go to the Scrum Dashboard website, which is coming from the TFS dll's (I think WorkitemTracking.Client was the source of this exception).

Has anyone got this working in a three tier environment? Which additional steps were taken to get it working?

I'm assuming it might have something to do with Kerberos, since the users' credentials will have to pass more boundaries when compared to a single tier installation (credentials have to be passed from Web server to App tier at least, but perhaps even to SQL Server).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steven

Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Hi, so I am guessing you are install Scrum Dashboard on the Web Access server ? Which version of TFS and Scrum Dashboard are you installing ?
May 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Yes, that's correct.

We are using TFS 2008, and have downloaded the latest version of the Scrum dashboard two weeks ago (so I guess that would be v2.5).

Coordinator
May 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
I looked in the docs for web access and it said that a remote server for web access only supported forms authentication, is that your setup ? If not, can you direct me to some documentation on how to set up a remote web access with integrated auth, maybe I can figure out on how to configure the Dashboard to work on that setup.
May 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

We are indeed running Forms Based authentication on TFS Web Access. I wasn't even aware of the option to run it with Integrated Security :)

Coordinator
May 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Ok, the default setup is to have web access on the same server as the AT and use integrated auth, then of course you have multiple of those AT's for different purposes if you like. Same setup in TFS2010. So, either you install Scrum Dashboard on the AT or you make it work with forms authentication yourself - its the first time I've head anyone want to use it with forms auth so there is nothing done it that area that I know of.
May 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Hi,

Thanks for helping me out, this is helpful information. Let's see what we can do with the Dashboard installed on the AT.