Error when viewing rss feed

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Received this error when I went to view rss feed in IE 7

A string literal was expected, but no opening quote character was found.
Line: 20 Character: 79

<span><H1>Server Error in '/ScrumDashboard' Application.<hr width=100% size=1 color=silver></H1>
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM
I need the complete error message.
May 13, 2008 at 8:33 PM
That is the complete error message that we receive.  This message has appeared on (2) different computers. I have been working with pmkern on the TF2008 project.
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Ok, I have no clue without more information, we havent had this problem..
Jun 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I also received exactly the same error message when attempting to activate the RSS-feed, on all PCs, regardless of browser type.

Then realized that the browser is expecting a rss feed but is getting a html-formatted error message, so the presented error is a hoax.
Click right on the message and "View source" to see the actual message.

In my case the error was:
Login failed for user 'ScrumDashboard'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Anyone that knows how to fix this?

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:02 AM

The error "Login failed for user 'ScrumDashboard'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection." is due to the fact that your TFS SQL Server instance is only configured for Windows Authenication mode and not mixed which results in the scrumdashboard SQL user in failing to connect to the backend database.

To fix either make the database server allow mixed mode authenication 

OR

Change the ConnectionString setting in the web.config to use wundows authenication e.g.

<connectionStrings>add name="ScrumDashboard" connectionString="Data Source=tfsdatasvr;Initial Catalog=ScrumDashboard;Integrated Security=True"/>connectionStrings>

and then change the ScrumDashBoard application pool to run as a network account, TFSSERVICE as an example.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Thanks alby999!

I tried the second alternative and it worked fine.

Our TFS/database server is getting old so we are in the process of procuring a new server.
When moving to the new server I think I will use alternative one, and switch the database server to mixed mode.