Linking Product Backlog Items (and Bugs) cross projects?

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:54 AM
Hi folks,

I'm just evaluating the scrum template in conjunction with this dashboard and it looks great. We're a very small team (4 devs, 1 BA) and along with the mixture of work we have it doesn't fit perfectly with TFS and the Scrum template. In particular we have lots of small projects live that require maintenance and the odd bug to be fixed alongside the rest of our work and most of the projects fit in to one of 4 business units that ideally want reporting based on their own business unit aggregated across all projects for that business unit.

Ideally I want to be able to have multiple projects for each logical project and have an aggregate report of Open Items/Bugs across all those projects.

I've managed to create a test case that does this in a roundabout way for bugs by having a master project per business unit and then importing those bugs in to the individual projects. They appear to update the bug in the master project when their status changes. Though the final change to Done hasn't propagated for some reason. I am hoping it just needs some update to happen before it does?

Is there any plans to add a way to do this for Product Backlog Items as well?

If I'm heading down the wrong path and there is a better way of doing this aggregate reporting I'd also love to know.

Many thanks,

Jon
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Hi,

and thanks for the feedback. Consider having only a single Scrum for Team System project in TFS for your team that is used for project management (no sourcecode and bugs). And then create one Team Project per "project" with source code based on a custom template that only has the Bug Work Item Type. That solves both the fact that most often you will work with multiple projects at once in a sprint and the fact that you need bug reports per projects, not sure on how to do it per business unit - you may have to create your own report. Fixing bugs is only a matter of importing them on a product backlog in Scrum Dashboard.

I am not sure that this is the best way in your case but that is how we have been working and it works fine, you may want to ask this question in the Scrum for Team System forums also to get more opinions.

Good luck.