Empty dashboard

Sep 22, 2008 at 6:48 AM
Hi,

I recently installed Scrum Dashboard 2.2 to try it out. At the time I had only added a few PBI's and SBI's (probably incorrectly) and the dashboard was completely blank (no report available and no items). After setting up sprints and such accordingly, suddenly I got the items to show in the dashboard. Fantastic!

However, I then proceeded to add about 10 more PBI's and about 30 more SBI's. And now the dashboard is completely blank again, even after waiting a day. No report, no items.

I guess there's an error somewhere in a PBI or SBI that stops the dashboard from working. Got any ideas as to what this could be?

(Note: For a while, not all SBI's had a sprint assigned, and some PBI's have SBI's that are assigned to different sprints. That should be OK right?)
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM
Can you clarify what you mean with "No report, no items." ? Do you mean by selecting a Project + Sprint in Scrum Dashboard you don't get any data at all or some data ?

1) Have you created a Sprint task for the correct iteration ?
2) Are you filtering by team without correct teams assigned ?

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:59 AM
Thanks for answering! I have selected my project and the first sprint in Scrum Dashboard. I've tried with both a team and "<all>". I have created sprint tasks and all items are assigned to a team.

The period is displayed correctly, but the current effort shows "0 of 0 (0%)". All numbers are zero. The report has a gray background and states "NO REPORT AVAILABLE". There are no items in the product backlog or other columns below.

The thing that stuns me is that it worked for a while - i.e. it specified 200h or so of "Not done" and several items were listed in the product backlog. Glad that I got everything working I started to add a lot of PBI's and SBI's using Team Explorer through Visual Studio 2008 and now... The Scrum Dashboard shows nothing again.

Any ideas? :-)

Kind regards,
Daniel
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 7:28 AM

You could look at the Team Query "All Sprints" in TFS, and then check for duplicate "Iteration Path". Also check that "Iteration Path" matches with your Product Backlog.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:03 AM
"All Sprints" give me a list that looks OK, using this pattern for Iteration Path:

MyProject\L1\Sprint 1
MyProject\L1\Sprint 2
MyProject\L2\Sprint 1
MyProject\L2\Sprint 2

There are no duplicate iteration paths among the sprints.

Now, here's the interesting part. So far, all my product backlog items have the iteration path "MyProject\L1" - i.e. they do not have the exact sprint specified in the path. The sprint backlog items however are set to a specific sprint such as "MyProject\L1\Sprint 1".

Is this OK or should all PBI's either have an iteration path of "MyProject" or a complete iteration path including a specific sprint?

Thanks,
Daniel
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM
For a backlog item of any type to be part of a sprint it must have the exact same "Iteration Path" as the sprint.

From the docs at http://www.scrumforteamsystem.com/processguidance/v2/Artefacts/ProductBacklog/ProductBacklogWI.aspx

Iteration Path: Identifies the target Release and Sprint "Iteration Path" in which the Product Backlog item will be delivered. The Iteration Path is setup from the Team - Team Project Settings - Areas and Iterations menu. When Release planning, a backlog item can be allocated to a Release without specifying the target Sprint until the Product Owner and team can see far enough ahead.
Sep 23, 2008 at 2:28 PM
Ah, that nailed it down! Super, thanks for the support!

I guess I had a tad bit different view of how I'd like to manage PBI's. When I have PBI's streching over more than a single sprint I'll just have to split them. :-)

The Dashboard works great now anyways. Thanks for a nice product!

Kind regards,
Daniel